Girls Spring Volleyball
The March thru June SPRING season is dedicated to GIRLS volleyball. The program has grown from 200+ players in 2012 to an amazing 740 players, 185 volunteer coaches and 69 teams in 2022, making it the largest youth volleyball program in Fairfax County by a factor of two.
The Next Season for GIRLS Volleyball is Spring 2023. Registration opens January 2023.
What's New in 2023
The spring season has nine (9) leagues across three programs:
- "House" is open to all girls regardless of skill and past experience
- 4th Grade House League (also open to advanced 3rd graders)
- 5th Grade House League (also open to advanced 4th graders)
- 6th Grade House League (also open to advanced 5th graders)
- 7th Grade House League
- 8th Grade House League
- 9th-12th Grade House League
- "Select" is for girls looking for a more competitive experience (optional)
- MS Select (includes 6th-8th grades)
- HS Select (includes 9th-12th grades)
- "Travel" is the most competitive for girls interested in keeping their skills fresh for the next school season (optional)
- HS Travel (includes 9th-12th grades)
Which League Should I Register For? The House leagues are open to everyone regardless of skill and past volleyball experience, while the MS Select, HS Select and HS Travel leagues are for more advanced players. Whichever league you target, everyone starts off by registering based on your grade. The Select and Travel leagues require a tryout which is optional. Those who earn a spot on a MS Select, HS Select or HS Travel teams after the tryout will have their registrations automaticially transfered to the appropriate league. All others remain in the House league for their grade.
When Are Practices? During the spring, MYA Volleyball has access to most school gyms in the McLean-area from Monday through Friday between 5:30pm and 9pm. Each House and HS Select team practices once per week for 90 minutes on a dedicated court, with MS Select and HS Travel practicing twice a week. One team could practice on Mondays from 5:30pm-7:00pm while another team in the same league could end up practicing on Thursdays from 7:30pm-9:00pm at a different location. During registration, each participant indicates which days of the week have schedule conflicts and any other special requests (friends, coaches, etc.). Our schedulers then work to assign each player to a team that practices on a conflict-free evening while honoring special requests.
When Are Matches? House league matches run for 60 minutes (3 games) and are always on Saturdays between 9am and 6pm at schools in the greater McLean area. The scheduling software randomly selects the start times, locations and opponents. MS Select and HS Select matches run for 90 minutes (5 games) and could be on Saturdays or Sundays. HS Travel league matches are traditionally on Wednesday evenings. Teams only play against teams in the same league.
How Does It Work? To help illustrate some key points, let's take the example of three sisters in Middle School. All three start off registering based their school grade, filling out the days of the week with known conflicts and any special requests.
- The first sister does not attend a MS Select tryout and is placed on a House team that practices on an evening she indicated as conflict-free. Based on her special requests, the team includes the coach and friends she requested plus several friends who requested her.
- The second sister attends the optional MS Select tryout but is not selected. She remains in the House league. Based on her special requests, she is placed on the same team as her first sister. The team is also assigned a friend the second sister requested and another friend who made a request to play with her.
- The third sister attends the optional MS Select tryouts and is offered a roster spot. Her registration is automatically transfered to the MS Select league with a $25 supplemental fees. She is drafted to a MS Select team that practices on evenings she indicated as conflict-free. MS Select, HS Select and HS Travel do not honor friend requests.
- All three sisters play matches on Saturdays (and potentially Sundays) sometime between 9am and 6pm with start times, locations and opponents determined by the scheduling software.
For more information, visit the following links:
Spring 2022 Schedule
- January 1: Registration opens
- February 27: Registration closes
- February 27 - March 2: MS Select Round 1 tryouts
- March 1: HS Travel and HS Select tryout
- March 4: HS Select and HS Travel rosters published
- March 6: MS Select Round 2 tryout
- March 7: MS Select draft
- March 7: New coaches Zoom Meeting @7:00pm-8:45pm
- March 8: MS Select rosters published
- March 12: House team rosters and schedules published
- March 11-18: Free skills clinics
- March 13-17: HS Travel, HS Select and MS Select practices begin
- March 20-24: House Team Practices Begin
- April 1-9: FCPS & APS Spring Break GYMS CLOSED
- April 15: Match #1
- April 22: Match #2
- April 29: Match #3
- May 6: Match #4
- May 13: Match #5
- May 20: Match #6 and Three-in-A-Row Froyo Challenge
- May 27-29: Memorial Day Weekend GYMS CLOSED
- June 3-4: Playoffs for House and Select Leagues
- June 5-9: All-Stars Events
with your questions.